My Blog – 2014 in review

Well, this email has been sitting in my inbox for quite awhile….Wordpress prepared a 2014 annual report for my blog way back in December and I thought this might be an opportune moment to share it and to say a big “Thank you!” to you for reading! You can read the report by following the link below.

It’s been a very busy month or so with extra hours at my job, assignment deadlines for library school coming up and a trip to the US for our family reunion. However I have *quite* a few posts in the pipeline and I hope to get those published in the forthcoming weeks!

Here’s an excerpt:

A San Francisco cable car holds 60 people. This blog was viewed about 660 times in 2014. If it were a cable car, it would take about 11 trips to carry that many people.

Click here to see the complete report.

My Annual Report

My husband was telling me a few months ago how a new requirement of his company’s parent company was to submit monthly progress reports. It’s a bit of extra work we said, but what a great way to track progress you’ve made, keep managers up to date with what you’re doing (and advocate for your work), and it would be valuable professionally to keep a record of what’s worked, what hasn’t and what you’ve learned. I thought “I wish I’d done this every month when starting my job last September”.

A few months later all the school librarians on the Yahoo School Library Network list-serve starting discussing putting together their annual reports, what people were including and sharing examples. I thought that even though I haven’t done monthly reports at least I can do an end of year report, and it seems to be normal practice amongst school librarians. Whether anyone will read it, who knows, but at least the record will be there!

So I set about putting together my report, and running various statistical reports on Alice, my library management system. It’s a pretty clunky piece of software so most of the reports I ran just to see what would come out the other end. I got some useful stats though and was pleasantly surprised to see that our total book loans were at nearly 12,000!

Vintage student report card. Phil Jern Flicker CC.

Vintage student report card. Source: Phil Jern, ‘report card 1944’, Flickr CC license.

In the report I included stats on borrowing by month, gender and Year group, and also some more topical sections. These covered highlights from Accelerated Reader (we had five ‘millionaire’ readers!), resources (adding of new book stock and regular uptake of the school laptops) and some issues we’ve had with usage of the library for events. In this document I was able to advocate for what the library and library staff contribute to teaching and learning in school by means of statistics and summarising our achievements. I was also able to highlight some issues we’ve faced, some of which had already been raised. I was proud of this bit of work and duly sent it to all members of the school Senior Leadership Team.

It got acknowledged by several members of SLT and all remarked on how useful it was and also that it was a good piece of evidence to show progress in our Ofsted ‘areas for improvement’ or AFIs. The stats on borrowing by gender were apparently surprising (boys borrowed more than girls). It was talked about at the SLT weekend away and they are considering whether it would be useful for me to do one every term. It also apparently spawned a photo op and news article featuring our AR millionaires in a local weekly newspaper.

So a piece of work I undertook solely on my own initiative which I thought might end up being most useful to only me, turned out to be quite handy in addressing school-wide issues such as Ofsted AFIs, giving a picture of reading and literacy across the school and it was actually read by possibly eleven people…well ten, excluding my husband 🙂